RESPITE | FKCE Classes Dec 2020-Feb 2021
We invite you to join us for our ONLINE parenting classes, sponsored by Saddleback College’s FKCE Program!
During this time, we’re pleased to offer you regular sessions of parenting support and tools in a virtual setting. Please take a look at the list of classes below!
Note – All classes will be available for a live session through the Zoom video conferencing platform. Certificates of Completion will be granted to all participants that attend with their videos showing and who are active in discussions (either through chat or in discussion groups).
Materials and Links will be sent to registrants the day before the class.
- 12/1 (6-8pm) – Rituals and Routines That Create a Safe Home – Is there a special song your family likes to sing during the holidays? Do you light a candle before dinner? Is there a specific routine at the end of the day that you use to help get your mind and body ready to sleep? Providing rituals and routines not only helps to give structure in our homes and organizations, but also connects us by giving a sense of belonging within our families and communities. But most importantly, routines and rituals create felt safety, an essential factor of healthy development, This course will help you learn how routines can change and heal brains that have experienced trauma, identify routines that can be given deeper meaning through ritual, explore ways to grow rituals as a group process, and understand the positive impact of belonging and protective systems (Part of the Coping with COVID-19 series).
- 1/5/2021 (6-8pm) – Social Media and Cyber Security – This is a workshop designed to inform parents and caregivers of the importance and dangers of social media. The class will focus on popular social media sites, the good and bad aspects of using certain sites and applications, strategies for dealing with arising issues, the online gaming community, capabilities of various technological devices, and safeguards to implement for using the internet and digital technologies more responsibly. With the increase of screen exposure during this time, parents will find this class especially helpful in ensuring online safety (Part of the Coping with COVID-19 series).
- 2/9/2021 (6-8pm) – Parenting During Challenging Seasons – Parenting is hard. Parenting children who have experienced trauma and loss is even more difficult. And when crisis hits, effective parenting can seem almost impossible! But the good news is that we can scaffold our children, homes – and even ourselves – to withstand unusual and challenging circumstances! This session will: explore proactive measures parents can put in place, identify current stressors and possible solutions, and provide practical tools to engage in resiliency practices that will help the whole family to better weather the storm.
Wednesdays (8-week series – must attend all sessions)
Making Sense of Your Worth – The Making Sense of Your Past Worth curriculum is designed as an 8-week group class and is ideal for individuals desiring to get to a place of secure attachment. It will help you replace shame with positive self-worth and give you the tools to come to a place of healing and prepares you to be able to utilize engage in connected caregiving in your home, school, church, or organization.
- Winter Session I – Jan 6, 13, 20, 27, Feb 3, 10, 17, 24
- Spring Session I – Mar 10, 17, 24, 31, Apr 7, 14, 21, 28
- Spring Session II – May/Jun – May 12, 19, 26, Jun 2, 9, 16, 23, 30
- Registration at: https://ocunited.org/initiatives/fostercare/respite/msoyw-online/