Empowered to Connect | PREPARE Course - Winter 2019
Empowered To Connect (ETC) Parent Training is an interactive learning experience designed specifically for adoptive and foster parents. ETC Parent Training equips parents with a holistic understanding of their child’s needs and development while empowering them with the tools and strategies to effectively meet those needs, build trust, and help their child heal and grow. We have condensed the six-week course into a weekend opportunity, with pre-reading and questions assigned so that participants can fully engage the material.
We will meet on Friday, Jan 25 (6:30-9:30pm) and Saturday, Jan 26 (8:30am-6:30pm) at the OC United 434 Classroom located at 434 W. Commonwealth Ave, Fullerton, CA
Please keep in mind that we do suggest that married couples attend the training together, and we ask that all participants commit to attending the entire training. Singles are also welcome, but we do ask that they make an effort to identify someone from their support team (i.e., a parent, friend, etc.) and encourage them to attend/train with them.
The Prepare Course includes the following six sessions designed to provide useful insights and a solid foundation for anyone who intersects with children from hard places.
● Building a Foundation of Connection
● Examining What You Bring to the Relationship
● Discovering the Heart of Connection – Attachment
● Focusing on the Needs of the Whole Child
● Putting It All Together: Connecting While Correcting (Parts 1 & 2)
- The Connected Child (2007), by Karyn Purvis, David Cross and Wendy Sunshine
- Parenting Is Your Highest Calling: And Eight Other Myths That Trap Us in Worry and Guilt (2008), by Leslie Leyland Fields
- Anatomy of the Soul (2010), by Curt Thompson
- Nurturing Adoptions (Second Ed., 2012), by Deborah Gray
- The Whole-Brain Child (2011), by Daniel J. Siegel and Tina Payne Bryson
- The Out-of-Sync Child (Revised Ed., 2006), by Carol Kranowitz
If you are interested in joining us for the next Southern California Training, please fill out the interest form below to receive the Pre-training Assessment.